“Are you an entrepreneurial go-getter? Here’s an amazing opportunity to work with a small team on stories with huge reach.”
We’re looking for someone who crafts the best stories on trending topics, gets the big news first, creates actionable advice for readers/viewers and can communicate a new perspective on what everyone’s talking about.
The ideal candidate has experience writing for national news, works quickly and independently, knows how to write attention-grabbing SEO-friendly headlines, and creates accurate, well-sourced copy that reads like a fun, funny, captivating short story, even if it’s about a bunch of gadgets. Also must be: Fanatical fact-checker, social media savvy, a serious go-getter, and tireless wordsmith. This is a three-month minimum freelance position, with a lot of potential for growth.
You should also have a keen knowledge or background in tech and be able to express that knowledge in a conversational writing style. This position is not for beginners. Must submit samples with byline from well established publication(s).
Techish.com is the homepage for Jennifer Jolly, a nationally syndicated columnist, video series host, and contributor for national news outlets such as the Today Show and CNN. Her weekly column and video series appears nationally in USA Today, and MSNBC, in more than 100 daily newspapers and TV stations. We also produce a variety of new media content via video, social, and written specials across a spectrum of media platforms and topics.
- Research, pitch, write, and publish stories daily
- Represent brand with professionalism, journalistic integrity, and stellar reputation
- Work remotely, meet deadlines, write and publish independently
- Research and identify topics and news stories relevant to our brands and outlets
- Create rich stories that incorporate data, images, audio, and video
- Potential to attend press events in (depending on location) and quickly turn around a story or hands-on
- Be flexible and able to drop one thing and pick up another when news breaks or priorities shift
- Create and update site with appropriate and links, images or videos
- Stay in touch and communicate effectively with manager
- Ability to write content quickly and accurately
- Working understanding of SEO techniques
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, communications or related curriculum preferred
- Minimum 3+ years of professional writing experience in publishing environment
- Established contacts and sources in consumer tech space preferred
- Excellent grammar, flawless fact-checking, and impeccable spelling required
- Familiar with AP and Mervin Block writing styles
- Quick learner, and willingness to adapt and take on new roles and responsibilities as required
In addition to your resume, please submit links to at least three current consumer technology writing samples via the contact form on Techish.com.